Monday, September 29, 2008

That's right, I'm a Trophy Wife



From 1989-1993 I had no problem telling people what I do. I'm a Physical Therapist, I would reply with some pride and could then go on and make small talk about where I work, what kinds of patients I work with, if I like what I do...etc.

Then, in 1993 with the birth of my first child, I dropped out of the workforce temporarily to nurture my child in those oh so important early years. I kept up my license and could still tell people I'm a PT but am staying at home for awhile with my child untiland this is where things got tricky, because my until timeline kept chaninging; until she's done nursing, until she starts preschool, when she's in Kindergarten, after grade school...

For about 5 years, I kept telling people I was a PT and planned on returning to work. Then somewhere, around the 6th year of being a stay at home mom, with a 6,5 and 1 year old at home, I thought " who am I kidding?" I am officially a...gasp..STAY AT HOME MOM. NOT a HOUSEWIFE! I'm NOT MARRIED to my HOUSE. And I'm not one of those 1950's mom's either..oh, no...I have OTHER interests besides cooking, cleaning and child rearing. I just don't have time to do anything else at the moment.

Ever since then, I've been trying on new titles for my stay at home status. Here's a few I've tried out:
1) Family Manager
2) Mischief Manager
3) Stay at home everything
4) artist ( hey, I've sold a few things!)
5) entrepreneur ( see above)


None of them seemed to fit for very long.

HOWEVER I think I've come up with a keeper.

Now, when asked what I do I proudly reply, "I'm a Trophy Wife". That ususally shuts the asker right up ( although I strongly suspect that some if not most silently pity the poor man that won me).

Anyway, isn't that a cool piece of art in the above photo?

If you have any great answers to the all too often asked question of what do you do, I'd love to hear your reply.




1 comment:

Janet - underthewillow said...

Wow, I'm just not creative enough, witty enough, or interesting enough to come up with a quirky answer but in reality, if someone asked me what I do I'd say, "Nothing and Everything".