Thursday, September 4, 2008

I got my first pair of Bifocals today

And now the world looks something like this.






Yup, yet another sign of my gradual decline as my body slowly succumbs to the aging process until I disappear completely from the planet.


The opthamologist calls is presbyopia. This is what WIKIPEDIA had so say about that.



"Presbyopia (Greek word "presbys" (πρέσβυς), meaning "old person") describes the condition where the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus on near objects with age. Presbyopia's exact mechanisms are not known with certainty, however, the research evidence most strongly supports a loss of elasticity of the crystalline lens, although changes in the lens's curvature from continual growth and loss of power of the ciliary muscles (the muscles that bend and straighten the lens) have also been postulated as its cause.

Similar to grey hair and wrinkles, presbyopia is a symptom caused by the natural course of aging. The first symptoms (described below) are usually first noticed between the ages of 40-50. The ability to focus on near objects declines throughout life, from an accommodation of about 20 dioptres (ability to focus at 50 mm away) in a child to 10 dioptres at 25 (100 mm) and leveling off at 0.5 to 1 dioptre at age 60 (ability to focus down to 1-2 meters only)."


Did I mention that I HATE WIKIPEDIA! Like, I get it already. I'm getting old. You don't have to be so BLUNT about it! GEEZ.

What I can't figure out is why the solution to my focusing problem is to have me wear a pair of glasses where the clear visual field is the size of pin head.

The good doctor says I should get used to them in a month or two. A MONTH OR TWO?? REALLY! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? He doesn't even wear glasses. Isn't there some law that opthamologists must wear glasses - and not the kind for twenty somethings - the kind for OLD PEOPLE, like me? I would tell him all this except, did I mention that my eye doc. is REALLY good looking??? I mean, the type of good looking you only see on reality tv. For him, I'll give it a couple of months.

1 comment:

reagan said...

Hey Lennea! I am totally cracking up while being completely sympathetic as I too had to get a prescription for bifocals from a Dr. younger than me-ugh! But actually seeing what I'm painting is soooo helpful! My hubby said I looked like a 'hot librarian' LOL! I'll take whatever I can get as long as it's not hot flashes:-)
hugs,
Pam